Rather than get to know Sri Lankan cuisine via restaurant menus, discover the essence of local food with this private market and home-cooking experience in Galle.
Buy ingredients at food markets with your friendly hosts, and visit their Dutch-built colonial-era home inside Galle Fort to cook dishes such as pineapple curry and clay pot fish before joining them for the finished meal—a privilege that most visitors couldn’t arrange independently.
- Make a Sri Lankan lunch the local way on a private Galle home-cooking class.
- Get to the heart of local cuisine rather than depend on restaurant menus.
- Visit markets and make dishes such as curry at your hosts’ Galle Fort home.
- Savor your meal as you chat with your hosts about Sri Lankan food and life.
- Private market tour + cooking class + lunch
- Alcoholic beverages (a glass of local arrack or beer)
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- No Hotel pickup and drop-off
Departure & Return
- Departure Point: Meet Kodi and Meena at their home.
- Departure Time: 9:00 AM
What to expect…
Enjoy a cup of hot tea with Kodi and Meena at their beautiful home before driving with Kodi to the local fish market. This is where fishermen sell their fresh catch. It is a busy area flocked by locals trying to get the freshest seafood.
Kodi will take you to his regular vendor and tell you more about the local seafood before purchasing fish for your cooking class. Then drive to the Green Market to buy fresh fruit and vegetables for your cooking class.
The Green Market is a colorful indoor market that houses several stalls selling beautifully presented seasonal and local produce. Stop at the vegetable stall and feel free to pick 3-4 seasonal vegetables that you would like to cook up before visiting the fruit stall to buy fresh pineapple. Your local market tour will last one hour after which you will drive back home with Kodi to begin your cooking class with Meena.
Meena will be waiting for you in their home kitchen to begin your two-hour hands-on authentic Sri Lankan cooking class. After taking a look at the vegetables you chose during your market tour she will come up with a menu for the day.
You will start by washing and cutting all the ingredients needed for the meal. Meena will then show you how to prepare two kinds of coconut milk using coconut powder. Later join her to cook 3-4 delicious Sri Lankan curries using spices she grinds at home. Kodi will be the sous chef – together he and Meena form a great team in the kitchen!
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- Fully refundable up to 48 hours. prior to experience; since our hosts begin preparing for your experience up to 2 days in advance, we cannot offer a refund for cancellations made within 48 hours of the experience.
- Menu may vary depending on the season.
- If any travelers in your party have any allergies, dietary restrictions, or cooking preferences please advise at the time of booking.
- Private, personalized experience.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate.
Price Starting from: USD 58 upwards